Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of Work

Today, I went to PLU to see my boss because he was coming back from vacation and I wanted to talk about work. I parked next to the library so I could walk through campus and see how PLU is doing. The scenery is amazing! Green everywhere! Except it's a little cold walking outside in all that shade.


Help! The attack of the squirrels is once more upon us! As I was walking around, minding my own business, I walked under this oak tree and SOMETHING was trowing down acorns! I didn't actually catch the culprit responsible, but knowing PLU, it could have been nothing else, but a squirrel!


As you can see, this is what I have to deal with at work! Mess, clutter, disorganization! People please! Learn how to follow the leader! If the glassware is organized in a specific way, then FOLLOW THE PATTERN!!!!! Don't try to put the dishes anyway you want, FOLLOW THE TEMPLATE THAT HAS BEEN PROVIDED! I organize and rearrange and they NEVER LEARN! I don't know how many times throughout the semester I organized the glassware in a specific way, but people ALWAYS MESS IT UP!!! Can't they see the pattern? I don't understand! They just put the dishes however they want, then they can't fit as much, then they have to put it in a different spot WHERE IT DOES NOT BELONG! I am surrounded by incompetence! I'm gone two months and the place is a mess! Look at what I have to deal with!!!!!

The Chemistry Stockroom Before Olesya takes charge!




I'm organizing and rearranging this shelf. I will make sure to include AFTER pictures! But seriously, the place is a mess! I started putting away dry dishes, but once I saw how disorganized the shelves that hold the dishes were, I had to do some organization, I can't work like that. So I organized the shelves with the beakers, Erlenmeyer Flasks, Filter Flasks and Graduated Cylinders. Then I started putting away test tubes. There's three sizes of test tubes that are the same length, but have different diameters: 15, 16, and 18. There is quite a big difference between the three! But people never make sure that they're putting test tubes in the correct spot! I had to go through all the test tubes in each slot and make sure the correct ones were in there. That takes time because there are a lot of test tubes! I was happy, until I looked in some of the other drawers with test tubes and it looks like I need to spend some time on the other ones as well, because (you guessed it) people put the wrong test tubes in the wrong spots!

You might ask why I'm so anal about the stockroom being organized and why I'm complaining about this stuff, but I work in a chemistry stockroom, where people come to get dishes and chemicals and anything they might need for their experiments. If things are not in the correct spots, people will not be able to get what they need, or they might get the wrong stuff and it might mess up their experiment. A test tube with a diameter of 18 cm holds much more stuff than a test tube with a 15 cm diameter. Disorder and clutter could also be dangerous, there are some strong chemicals in there and if people trip while carrying those, or they get knocked over... that could be REALLY bad!


This is the open lab where chemistry students perform their experiments. It's open 1-6pm Monday through Friday. Students can come up to the open window where stockroom workers check out a basket of materials they need for that week's lab. There are fume hoods for every class where the chemicals for each week's experiment are kept. It looks nice now, but wait until school starts! There's going to be clutter everywhere! Seriously, people need to clean up after themselves and not lay all their stuff laying around!

1 comment:

Makara said...

LOL I felt like you were writing like an adventure about being attacked by squirrels and then it became an advertisement for the chemistry stock room and open lab. It was very enjoyable to read!